The Protection or Personal Information Act 2013 (Act 4 of 2013) came into force on 30 June 2021.The act is a comprehensive data protection law to govern the collection, use, storage, transfer, sharing and destruction of personal information by public and private bodies
The purpose of the POPI Act is to:
- Protect the constitutional right to privacy.
•Balance this right against others, such as the right to freedom of expression and the right to access information.
•Regulate the way personal information is processed while keeping international standards in mind
•Provide people with the means to protect their personal information.
We respect your privacy and take the protection of Personal Information very seriously. We strive to deliver excellent service every time you shop with us, and to do this, we need to use some of your Personal Information.
COLLECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We process Personal Information in a manner that is reasonable, adequate, relevant, non-excessive and purpose specific. For users to access and use our Platforms we collect and process some Personal Information. When you become a registered user, we must collect and process your Personal Information to render our services to you.
When you register to use our Platforms, we may collect the following Personal Information:
name and surname.
mobile phone number.
date of birth.
Should your Personal Information change or you wish to amend and/or correct this Personal Information you can do this by updating your registered user information in your account profile. You warrant that the information you have provided is accurate, current, true and correct and that does not impersonate or misrepresent any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with anyone or anything.
When you access our Platforms, we process some of your Personal Information. Depending on how you access and use our Platforms, we may receive:
- log information, through online identifiers, including information on how, when and for how long you use our Platforms and other services, the content you view and search queries you submit.
- information about the equipment you use to access or use our Platforms, including the type of device you are using, how you access our Platforms, your browser or operating system and your Internet Protocol address.
- the geographic location from which you accessed our Platforms, including your device’s global positioning system signal and information about nearby Wi-Fi networks and cell towers. We get this information when you use location-enabled services.
- other information about you from third parties, such as social media.
WHY DO WE PROCESS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We process the Personal Information we collect and receive to:
verify your identity;
create a user account for you; and/or
enter a contract with you.
As a registered user, we also process your Personal Information to:
- fulfill our contractual obligations to you when you have ordered goods for us to deliver those goods and process returns.
- provide you with information, products, or services you request from us.
- communicate with you regarding our Platforms and provide you with information, products, or services, including billing, customer support, resolving complaints and quality control.
- send you information about competitions, products or services that may interest you (unless you have opted out of receiving such information).
- get feedback from you which we need to develop our products and services and grow our business.
- comply with any legal or regulatory obligations such as tax or financial laws.
- undertake research for statistical purposes. The research and statistics we get from this process do not include your Personal Information and cannot be linked to you, nor can you be identified from these statistics.
RETENTION AND RESTRICTION OF RECORDS
We keep your Personal Information for as long as:
- we need it to provide our Platforms, products, or services to you.
- it is required or allowed by law and is in line with our internal retention policies.
- it is necessary to uphold the contract between you and us.
- you have agreed to us keeping your Personal Information subject to your request for us to stop processing your Personal Information.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as is necessary to achieve the purpose for which this information was collected or subsequently processed. If your Personal Information is used for more than one purpose, we will retain it until the purpose with the latest period expires but we will stop using it for the purpose with a shorter period once that period expires.
By accessing and using the Platform, you consent to us retaining records of your Personal Information for no longer than may be necessary to achieve the purpose for which the information was initially collected or subsequently processed.
USER TRACKING AND COOKIES
When you access and use our Platforms, we may use various technological tools to improve your experience on our websites using cookies and/or user tracking.
- make our Platforms more user friendly.
- personalise your interactions with our Platforms, tailor our services and Platforms to your interests and needs, and ensure they work on your device.
- provide advertising that is relevant to you, limit the number of times you see the same advertisement and measure the effectiveness of the advertisements on our Platforms and other websites, based on your online activities such as the websites and apps you use or content you view, and information we have about you.
- send Opt-In marketing communication if you are not a registered user.
OPT OUT FROM DIRECT MARKETING
You have the right to request us not to contact you for purposes of direct marketing by any form of electronic communication such as automatic calling machines, email and/or SMS notifications by “opting-out” of any direct marketing communications we may send to you.
SHARING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We share your Personal Information with service providers to help us provide our services and fulfill our contracts with you. We do not sell your Personal Information to third parties for their marketing or any other purposes.
We may provide or make your Personal Information available to:
- our employees and/or third-party service providers to enable them to assist us to interact with you via our Platforms for the ordering of goods or when delivering goods to you.
- law enforcement, government officials, fraud detection agencies or other third parties when the disclosure of Personal Information is necessary or appropriate in connection with an investigation of fraud, intellectual property infringements, or other activity that is illegal or may expose us to legal liability or financial loss, to report or support the investigation into suspected illegal activity.
- third parties (such as a potential purchaser and its professional advisors) in the event of any reorganisation, merger, consolation, sale, joint venture, or other disposition of any or all our assets.
- our service providers (under contract with us) who help with parts of our business operations (fraud prevention, marketing, public relations, technology services etc). However, our contracts dictate that these service providers may only use your Personal Information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit or any other purpose and must treat such information as confidential information.
- We use Peach Payments to power our online store. You can read more about how Peach Payments uses your Personal Information here: https://peachpayments.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009169079-Peach-Payments-Privacy-Policy
SENDING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE SOUTH AFRICA
We may transfer certain Personal Information outside the geographic borders of South Africa to service providers for purposes set out above, including for data storage and back-up purposes to ensure the integrity of our systems.
When we transfer your Personal Information outside of the geographic borders of South Africa, we will ensure that we do so in accordance with the requirements for lawful transfer outside of South Africa as set out in POPI. By accessing and using our Platforms, you consent to us transferring your Personal Information outside of South Africa as set out in POPI.
SECURING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We secure the integrity and confidentiality of your Personal Information in our possession or under our control by taking appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures to prevent loss of damage to or unauthorised destruction of Personal Information, and unlawful access to or processing of Personal Information.
For more information about our privacy practices, or if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com
Trendy Trinity is required to supply the following information to you on request:
- Confirmation that the company does hold the client’s personal information.
• A record or description of the personal information held.
• The identity of all third parties who have or have had access to the personal information.
You have the right to access, view and request correction or deletion of your personal information.
If Trendy Trinity does not provide the above-mentioned information to you, a formal request can be submitted to the Information Regulator as set out in the PAIA legislation. Any complaints against Trendy Trinity regarding the POPI act can be made to Information Officer of the company, or when unresolved to the Information Regulator. Contact details of the Information Regulator is:
Information Regulator Address:
JD House, 27 Stiemens Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001.
Postal Address; P.O. Box 31533, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017.
Complaints: Complaints.IR@justic.gov.za / General Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org